Wednesday 10 October 2012

Battle of the Beans


So my runner beans have busted onto the scene and out of the string setup I had made for them to climb on as they grew. When planting little baby seeds this setup seemed heaps big enough at the time, but now they are looking sad and overgrown and in need of a spruce up.
Before: Teeny tiny little seedlings. This should do it!
I bought a piece of 1x2 timber and screwed it into top position where origianlly I had just suspended string between the two wooden posts. The string was getting so heavy with beans that the two wooden posts were starting to have a serious lean in towards the bed which caused the strings that the beans were growing up to slouch, and allowing the bottoms of the bean plants to cascade over onto the lettuce and pak choi that was growing in the row along side it. Then once I got the wooden beam in place I restrung all the strings up onto to wooden beam and voila! Happy beans. Happy me. Job done!
Before: string setup suspended between the two wooden posts
During: Crap photo as I didn't actually get the sagging top string

After: Final re-jigging. Wooden top support beam with strings attached to it. Next year we will redesign.


No comments:

Post a Comment