Wednesday 12 September 2012

Cheese making

Just finished my first batch of cheese making today from the supplies I bought online from Ozfarmer. I tried the whole milk ricotta, and took some action shots along the way. All in all it was very easy, and seemed to set up very well. I bought a cheese making kit and a cheese making book, and this seemed like the easiest cheese to start with. This batch used two litres of full cream homogenized milk, and made two individual cheese molds about the size of a teacup each (I couldn't be bothered weighing the end result). For one of them I made a homemade herb crust to go on it, with salt, pepper, chives, oregano, dill, parsely, and thyme. All of which were homegrown I must admit. :) I have some friends coming round tonight, so we'll get their opinions on what they think of the cheese! 
Cheese making supplies
Next project I think will be homemade ginger beer. :)



Milk up to temperature!
Adding the citric acid with coagulates the milk

Curdled!

Once the curds and whey have sat for about two hours to firm up


Ricotta in it's draining tray/mold thing

Fresh herbs for the crust


The final product! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment