Saturday 14 January 2012

Homeward bound

This blog came about as something for my dad and I to keep in touch with, as we both share an interest in gardening, being more self sufficient, and transition to a more sustainable way of living. But sadly he lives in Halifax, Canada and I now live in Perth, West Australia... so you see the problem in being able to be part of one an others lives enough to really see what we're getting up to. So that's why this blog's been created... but now onto the juicy content!

So awhile ago I started a little veggie patch in my front yard consisting of two raised beds in which I added soil.. compost, veggies and mulch on top. It looked something like this.
In one I planted peas, lettuce, about 6 different types of tomatoes (most of which were heirloom varieties), and brown onions. In the other I planted zucchinis, broccoli, and watermelons. Then I went away to Canada for six weeks to go visit family and just got back a few days ago. This is what I got back to...

Tomatoes out of control!



Up close and personal with some roma tomatoes


Taller than I am!

Attempting to stake the runaways



The haul


   


















































  
Not easy to see, but these were a good two feet taller than I am, and I'm 5'8. Impessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment